To use our apps and configurations, please sign up for an ExpressVPN account first.
Use the troubleshooting steps below if you can’t connect to our VPN gateway / VPN authentication failed.
If the ExpressVPN application is running properly, but you still cannot connect to our VPN gateway, ExpressVPN will display the following error message:
Version 5.x (for Mac and Windows)
Version 4.x (for Mac and Windows)
Version 3.x (for Windows)
After each step, check if the problem is resolved.
- Make sure your Internet connection is active.
- Try connecting to another ExpressVPN Location.
- Try changing the protocol.
- Try disabling your firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program.
- Send us your ExpressVPN log file or diagnostics.
- Tech-savvy? Find out what the error messages mean.
- If you run into the Android Tun Missing Driver error…
Make sure your Internet connection is active.
To test whether your Internet connection is active, disconnect from ExpressVPN and try to access a website regularly.
If you are able to access the internet while disconnected from ExpressVPN, move on to the next step.
If you are unable to access the internet even when disconnected from ExpressVPN, you will need to check your Internet connection.
Try connecting to another ExpressVPN Location.
Choose a different server location from the list of locations. See our authoritative guide to choosing the best server location for your needs.
Try changing the protocol.
By default, ExpressVPN uses the UDP protocol, which is blocked in some countries, especially in the Middle East.
For optimal performance, please choose the protocols in the following order listed by priority:
- Auto (This automatically chooses the best protocol each time you connect. We recommend this option unless you specifically want to use a certain protocol)
- OpenVPN UDP
- OpenVPN TCP << Try this one
Note: We do not recommend using PPTP unless absolutely necessary. PPTP offers only minimal security.
How to change the protocol for…
- ExpressVPN Mac and Windows Apps 5.x
- ExpressVPN Mac App 4.x
- ExpressVPN Mac App 3.x
- ExpressVPN Windows App
Change the protocol for the ExpressVPN Mac and Windows Apps 5.x:
Please refer to the instructions here:
- How to Switch to a Different VPN Protocol on ExpressVPN 5.x for Mac
- How to Switch to a Different VPN Protocol on ExpressVPN 5.x for Windows
Change the protocol for the ExpressVPN Mac App 4.x:
Click on the ellipsis (…), then click Preferences.
Click on the Protocol (cog).
Choose the protocol that you want to use, then click OK.
Change the protocol for the ExpressVPN Mac App 3.x:
- Click Options.
- Under “Change protocol”, select a different protocol, then click Back to locations list.
Change the protocol for the ExpressVPN Windows App 3.x:
Under “Change Protocol”, choose the protocol you want to use, then click Back to locations list.
Try disabling your firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program.
Your VPN connection might be blocked by a firewall, antivirus, or anti-spyware program. To test this, disable these programs and see if can connect. If you can connect, please do one of the following:
- If you know how to configure the program that’s blocking the connection, configure it to allow ExpressVPN. Depending on the program, you may need to change the security level from High to Medium, grant an exception to ExpressVPN or to UDP ports 1194-1204, or set it to Trust ExpressVPN.
- If you have the option to reinstall the program that’s blocking your VPN connection, installing it after ExpressVPN is already installed should get it to allow ExpressVPN to connect. Do the following:
- Uninstall ExpressVPN.
- Uninstall the program that’s blocking the VPN connection.
- Install ExpressVPN.
- Install the program that’s blocking the VPN connection.
Send us your ExpressVPN log file or diagnostics.
Your ExpressVPN log file or diagnostics keeps a record that shows what might be causing your failed connection. Save the log file or diagnostics and email it as an attachment to the ExpressVPN Support Team at: email@example.com.
For ExpressVPN 5.x
To save your diagnostics, click the ellipsis (…) > Diagnostics > Save Diagnostics.
For ExpressVPN 4.x
In the ExpressVPN window, click Save Log.
For ExpressVPN 3.x
In the ExpressVPN window, click Save Log.
Tech-savvy? Find out what the error messages mean.
Are you tech-savvy? Find out what the error messages mean.
If you run into the Android Tun Missing Driver error…
If the ExpressVPN app is working on your Android device but you encounter the Android Tun Missing Driver error, click here.